Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Why Tri?

So I had my little pity party last night.  I needed some things from the store so wondered around Wal-Mart for a few minutes.  Just like watching Maury Povich, people watching at Wal-Mart will always get you out of your funk when you feel bad about yourself.
I did end up swimming a mile.  But then I got the kids from the daycare and Jen was finishing up with swim lesson sign-ups so I mentioned Pizza Ranch.  So we pigged out there.  Probably not worth the calories, but their fried chicken is so good.

Anyways, back to today's post.  :)

Why would someone that hate's running and while is a good swimmer, thinks he would drown if made to swim a mile, think a triathlon is a good idea?

It started back when I first got serious about biking.  I'm not an overly competitive person.  I have always been supportive of my wife and her wanting to do timed runs but I have never saw the need to pay a bunch of money to go run or really do anything timed with thousands of other people.  But there was always a small part of me that wished I could say I did something.  Something athletic, something not everyone does.

I could have ran.  Other than getting a good pair of shoes it's a cheap hobby to get into.  Plus it's something my wife and I could have done together.  We already traveled to races, so instead of standing around for 2-4 hours I could have been doing something.  But as I have said before I hated running.  Mostly because of treadmills.  I just can't stare at a wall and run in place like that.  Plus I do not run a consistent speed and feel to out of control on a treadmill.

I could have done bike races.  From crit's to time trials, MTB or cyclocross there are many options for racing.  But it's expensive to get into.  I had a hybrid at the time and only true road bikes are allowed.

I had thought about doing a Tri, but I figured I was to overweight, didn't have the right kind of bike, worked to much and whatever reason I could think of to not do one.

Jen and I decided to check out the Hy-Vee Tri one year.  I saw guys that where just as heavy if not more so riding cheap, heavy mountain bikes.  I thought if they can do it why can't I?  I made up my mind that I would do a Tri.  I just didn't decide WHEN!

The years following seemed to be busier that the year before.  We had a baby in 2010 and again in 2013.  My wife wanted to be a stay at home mom so I worked extra so make up the difference so she could.  Between kids and work I've had virtually no time for myself.  I've made the dicision that 2014 is going to be my year to do a Tri.  I'm not sure how I'm going to fit in training yet, but I'm determined to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment