Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sponsorships

I had another post ready for today, but I'm going to save it for tomorrow.

It's not uncommon for Triathlete's to get sponsored.  Typically you have to be at least in the elite group to get one.  Sponsorships can range from something as simple as free product or gear all the way up to full salary's. 

This year Kyle's Bikes and Discount Tri Supply were offering sponsorships to ordinary people.  You got some cool stuff like use of a Tri bike on race day or loaner wheels if you wanted to use your bike.  A complete bike fit and clothes.  And your race entry's would be paid for.  All you had to do was compete in three sprint tri's and write up some reports.  There was an application to fill out and you also had to make a short video.

I submitted an application.  My video really sucked though.  I'm not even going to link to it.  Anyone that went to my wedding know that I just kind of lock up when I need to speak in front of people or a camera.  It doesn't matter if I have some great speech planned out in my head.  The second that I have to speak it's gone and I'm like a deer in headlights.  So I wrote out a little script.  Well, it's tough to show much emotion or personality on camera when your concentrating on reading.  Of course this last weekend I had an idea for a great video.  I guess if they do this again next year I already have an idea of what to submit.

Naturally I was not chosen.  I'm really not surprised, but I am super disappointed.  I'll talk about it later but in the summer I work 60+ hours a week.  I can't afford not to.  Without a sponsorship I'm not sure how I can afford the proper clothing or race fees and I defiantly will not have as much motivation once I'm dead tired from working so much without having to fulfill a commitment.

So I'm feeling a little defeated tonight.  I was planning on swimming tonight.  Hopefully I can get motivated enough to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment